Monday, September 03, 2007

Charlie's first trip!

Last weekend (Aug. 24-29), Charlie made his first trip, both by air and by car. We flew to Iowa where we met up with my parents and drove 4 hours to Worthington, Minn., for my cousin Stephanie's wedding. Charlie traveled pretty well. He ate on take off and descent, which helped keep him happy. Dave handled our first in-plane diaper change. You could hear Charlie crying from the bathroom, but I think Dave set a record for fastest diaper change ever. Charlie slept the entire drive to Minnesota; literally from the parking lot of the airport to the parking lot of the hotel. He did great all weekend, napping in his car seat as we went from event to event, and he made it through most of the wedding and reception. While there, Charlie was introduced to the whole Hurley side of the family. Growing up, we spent a lot of weekends in Worthington, so I really enjoyed being back there and seeing family. Charlie slept most of the drive back to Iowa, except for the last 20 minutes. Dave had to come back to Dallas on Monday, but Charlie and I stayed with Mom and Dad in Perry until Wednesday. I was really nervous about flying alone with him, but we did good, especially since I was starting to come down with something and was pretty sick by the time we got home. Fortunately, I was able to pump enough milk the couple days before so I could feed him bottles on the plane home so I didn't have to try to breastfeed next to a complete stranger on the super-small regional jet we were on.

I'm glad Charlie took to traveling well, because it won't be long before he's on a plane again. We're going to Nashville the first week of October to see some of Dave's family, and Charlie and I will be going to KC for Halloween. Traveling with him at this age is relatively easy since he doesn't need much; I'm sure it will only get tougher as he starts getting more active and needs more entertainment.


No comments: