With the influx of new toys after Charlie's birthday last week, fighting over toys is at an all-time high in our house. As much as I want to use that time to sit them down for a chat about the state of their selfish hearts, I usually just end up taking the toy away, but then they just move on to playing with another toy and by the time I give it back they've forgotten all about it.
But this morning I had a brainstorm. I'd seen "Mom's Ransom Box" floating around on Pinterest, and decided to put my own spin on it. Introducing... the Brotherly Love Box!
Now when the boys are fighting over a toy I will take it away and put it in the box. If they want the toy back they have to recite Romans 12:10 and choose a stick from the pocket. The sticks all have tasks written on them that will honor their brother.
Some of my ideas so far:
- Hug your brother
- Tell him "I love you"
- Ask for forgiveness
- Draw a picture for your brother
- Play a game with him (his choice)
- Wipe down his chair at the table
- Clean your bathroom sink
- Wipe down your toilet
- Say something nice about him
- Give the toy to him
And if neither of them chooses to rescue the item from the box by doing something nice for their brother, then the item will be donated after a certain amount of time (haven't decided exactly how long yet. Week? Month?)
I know the character lesson isn't 100% spot-on because it's teaching them to do something nice only to get what they wanted in the first place, but hey, it's a start!
So what do think? Any other ideas for brotherly love tasks?
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. -Romans 12:10
1 comment:
I am so proud of you! What a good smart Mama. When I homeschooled two 7th grade boys I had them quote Rom. 12:18 a lot.
Aunt Gerry
Post a Comment